Historic Seawater Temperatures from the WHOI Pier
Measurements recorded from the pier of the Woods Hole Oceangraphic Institution, 1893 - 2005
Dorothy "Dot" Rogers, who measured daily water temperatures at the WHOI pier for more than 38 years.
View Temperatures Online
Display temperatures for a particular year:Display temperatures for a particular month in all years:Display minimum, maximum and average temperatures for a particular year, month in all years or date in all years:
| Select a year: || Select a month: ||Select a date: |
Units: All recordings presented here are in Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures for 1893-1894, 1898-1901, and 1903 were compiled from the papers of Vinal N. Edwards, Record Group #370 of the National Archives and Records Administration North East Region in Waltham, Massachusetts.
- Mean monthly temperatures for 1886 to 1956 were compiled from Dean Bumpus's Special Scientific Report - Fisheries #214 (1957)
- 1956 to 1997 temperatures were compiled from the observations of Dorothy "Dottie" Rogers (pictured above).
- Temperatures after 1997 were recorded by computer and compiled by WHOI staff.
- Paper records for temperatures recorded from 1945 to 1996 are available in the WHOI Archives
Temperatures are available as a spreadsheet:whoi_h2otemps_1893_2005.xls
WHOI Data Library and Archives Home Page
MBLWHOI Library Home Page